jump to navigation

Bad electric wiring caused fires June 30, 2011

Posted by wong jimmy in Uncategorized.
trackback

 

 

Sabah DAP  Kapayan  Branch Chairman Stephen Jacob Jimbangan today commented that many fires that burnt down houses and properties were due to the bad wiring system and misuse of the electric power supply.

 

The misuse of the electrical wiring system is normally due to the overloading of the circuit by connecting to too many electrical appliances at one place. One single socket outlet is normally allowed with a maximum loading of 13amp, if there is a few electrical appliances are connected to the same single socket outlet, then this is a case of overloading, and will create heating up of the socket and wires. This will cause the plug and the wire to melt and burn to cause fire.

 

The common sight at home where the miss use of the wall socket outlet is the users always connect up with too many connections, especially the multi-point extension cord is used with the high current ampere electrical appliances like big hair dryers (4.5 amp), water kettles (6.5 amp), fans, oven and micro-wave (7.5 amp) etc.. The multi-point extension cord can not carry such combined heavy loading exceeding 13 amperes. The protective fuse protects only with a safety limit of 13 amperes only, and normally the user will like to change it to 30 amperes or more. This will not blow easily, but instead the wires and the socket will melt or burn. This is really a dangerous and wrong thing to do.

 

 

From observ

ation in many houses, especially those in the kampongs where they use without proper approved wiring system and no protection with the use of circuit breakers (MCB), it is very easy to cause fire and total burn out. The wires are connected usually from house to house without proper wiring standard, procedure and many just left hanging and exposed to rain

. A spark of fire from the wire can lead to a big fire, where a whole house or houses can be burnt down to the ground within minutes.

 

We have actually checked on many fires that were caused by the bad, old, not maintained, substandard wiring, unprotected circuits, and largely misused of the power supply system. Stephen said that it is the properties owner responsibility to ensure that all electrical wiring must be checked and if possible upgraded to avoid short circuit. This is even import

ant in all the industrial buildings and workshops.

 

Stephen urges that the SESB (Sabah Electricity Sdn. Bhd.) to conduct regular check on house holds, factories, complexes, and even hotels to advice the power consumers on the need to install proper and safe wiring system, and at the same time to see that regulations are complied with. The will save life and avoid properties lost. The local councils must also help to advice the house owners to do the same.

 

Stephen is also a qualified Mechanical and Electrical Engineer by profession. Therefore, we can take his words and advice in order to save ourselves a lot of troubles and losses. The photos provided by him served as a valid example and reminder that we should always be careful in adopting the correct and safe way of connecting up our electrical appliances to the power.

 

 

Stephen Jacob Jimbangan,SabahDAP Kapayan Branch Chairman.

 

Pic:  (1) wrong u

se of multiple connection of a single wall socket outlet

(2) correct use of wall socket outlet

(3) heavily loaded power extension cord connection

 

电线短

路引起火灾
沙巴民主行动党甘拜园支部主席史提文(Stephen Jimbangan)指出许多火灾所烧毁的房屋和产业大多是由于电线短路,以及错误使用电插头所导致的。

该些电流的错误使用通常是因为插座超负荷。通常一个插座只能够负荷约13安培(ampere),如果一个插座接插超过一个电器插头,那么就会出现负荷的状况,这将引起插座和电线发热,导致插头和电线熔化而引起走火。

 

许多住家里随处都可见到墙壁插座的错误使用,他们总是插上多个电器分插头,尤其是使用多数位插座用于多个高安培的电器,例如吹风筒(4.5安培),电水褒(6.5安培),电风扇,烤箱和微波炉(7.5安培)等。 该多数位插座实际上是不能负荷超出13安培以上的电流。 其保险丝只能够负荷限制于13安培以下的电流,而用户往往为了方便,会换上30安培或以上的保险丝。 超荷将造成电线和插座熔化或燃烧而引起火灾。 这是项极危险和错误的使用法。

 

许多房屋,尤其是甘榜木屋,大都没有符合规格的电路系统,也没有紧急电路切断系统(MCB),因此发生电源短路时,将很容易引起走火。 有些甘榜屋随意衔接电线也没有依照规格的安装,此外还有许多电线暴露在雨水中。 电线走火的火花可导致一场大火的发生,能将整栋和周边的房子在几分钟内夷为平地。

 

我们应该经常检查电源线路,更换陈旧,不能维修,不合格的电线,以及安装更好的紧急电路切断系统,避免电路系统的负荷。史提文说,业主有责任确保所有电路系统必须经常进行检查,如果有可能必需给予更换及提升,以避免短路和走火,尤其是在商业大厦及工厂。

史提文敦促沙巴电力局必须进行检查房屋,工厂,大厦,甚至酒店是否有安装适当和安全的电源系统,并给于用户适当的指导。 该行动将会减少火灾的发生及生命财产的损失。 地方县议会也必须进行检查及帮助屋主在这方面的问题。

 

史提文也是位合格的机电专业工程师。 因此,我们可以采取他的忠告和建议,为自己减少麻烦和损失。 他提供的照片应当成一个有效的例子,以提醒我们在衔接电器的正确和安全的方法。

 

 

图1。超荷的电插座

图2。正确的电插座用法

图3。超荷及高度危险的多数位插座

Advertisements

Comments»

No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: